Mixed-Use Development, Hackney
The existing building was designed in the 1930’s by Robert Sharpe (designer of the Michelin Building) as the headquarters of a concrete company. It exhibits internally some extraordinary and raw detailing, including huge cruciform headed columns within the typical floors. It had fallen into disrepair and was bought by our clients with full planning permission in place for the refurbishment of the existing office accommodation, and the addition of two floors at roof level containing eight 2-bedroom flats.
DLA acted as development manager and contract administrator. The contractor went into liquidation prior to completion of the works at which point DLA took over as site manager to complete the works with retained subcontractors.
Energy consumption of the building was reduced by using simple materials, finishes and engineering strategies. Internal thermal insulation was applied to all external walls, double glazed and draft stripped windows were installed, and the building’s thermal mass exposed by sand blasting and sealing the internal concrete structure and floors. The result is a historic building that retains its period appearance, yet offers a significantly enhanced level of energy efficiency.
Photographs © Michele Panzeri