Mixed-Use Development, Southwark
Two nineteenth century 2 storey industrial buildings located near to Southwark tube station, but immediately surrounded by 4 storey local authority housing developments from the 1950’s. We proposed various massing approaches to the site, and included an option to retain the existing buildings. The retained option however was to demolish completely, and develop two separate buildings each containing basement and ground level employment uses, with residential accommodation above. Access to the employment and residential areas was to be shared at ground level, with each building having separate landscaped courtyards, and the residential accommodation offered 40% affordable housing.
Visuals © Alan Marten